Electric log splitters are best suited for light to medium duty jobs and becoming are becoming increasingly popular nowadays with homeowners. Electric log splitters are more efficient and make less noise than gas powered units. Moreover, they do not produce any harmful gases as well and can be operated indoors during the winter.
Typically a electric log splitter produces a splitting force ranging from 4 to 20 tons. The smaller size and splitting power makes them easy to use, efficient and perfect for general home use. They usually operate in horizontal mode however, some can operate in a vertical position as well. An additional benefit of electric log splitters are that you just need to plug the unit into an electrical outlet and you’re ready to go—no need to have gas on hand or refuel during use.
A higher splitting force rating means it will consume more electricity, but also be able to split tougher and larger logs with ease. These splitters are very lightweight, weighing almost around 100 to 200 pounds. This makes them highly portable and convenient to use in smaller spaces. Due to their small size, no fumes and low noise production, they can be used conveniently in small garages or basements.
One thing to keep an eye out for is that every splitter has a log length limit, this affects the size of logs that can be split. Be sure that the unit you are buying can handle the size of logs you intent to split. Most units can typically split logs up to ~20 inches.
In electric log splitters, the motor plays the main role as an gas powered engine does in a gas log splitter. All the power, tonnage, efficiency depends on the electric motor. Being electric powered, all splitters have an auto start button and do not require any manual pulling to start.
You will also find that electric log splitters are much cheaper than gas splitters and are ideal for general home use.
Let’s compare two models to have an idea about the features of electric log splitters. For example, the TR Industrial Electric Log Splitter with Stand produces 5 tons of splitting force and is powered by a 15 ampere, 2 HP motor. It can split logs of lengths up to 20.5 inches.
On the other hand, the XtremepowerUS 7 Ton Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter. This one has tonnage of 7 tons, a 1.5 KW electric motor with a 20 second cycle time and can also split log length of 20.5 inches.
You can see that many electric log splitter models are very similar to each other with only small differences in tonnage and motors, but you can consider following pros and cons while looking to buy one.
Pros & Cons of Electric Log Splitters
- A good log splitter must provide enough splitting force to do your job. If the tonnage is lesser than required, then it may not be able to split the wood and make your work difficult.
- Look for a motor that consumes less energy and has a higher efficiency.
- A lower cycle time can help you do the job in less time. Lower cycle time should be preferred if you can afford it.
- As they are designed for home use, they must be safe and convenient to use, and should produce less noise while working.
- Lightweight splitters are easier to use as they are smaller to move and operate.
- Normally, most kinds of light duty splitting can be done in horizontal operation. However, if you wish to do a bit heavier splitting you can choose a splitter that can work in both horizontal and vertical positions.
- Look at the units warranty as electric equipment can be prone to malfunctions. Make sure your splitter is covered by at least 1-3 years of warranty.
Best Top Rated Electric Log Spitter Models To Consider
- Power: 7 tons
- Powered by: 2 HP electric motor, 15 amp and 115 VAC. (approximately 1500 watts)
- Weight: 106 pounds
- Max log length: 20.5 inches
- Other features: Electric Start, automatic ram return.
This is a simple, easy to use splitter. Designed for one-handed operation. Very lightweight and portable. Provides enough power for most home use. The automatic return features allows you complete the job is less time. Great for indoor use as it does not produce much noise and no fumes.
- Power: 6 tons
- Powered by: 2 HP electric motor, 15 amp.
- Weight: 100 pounds
- Max log length: 20.5 inches
- Other features: Extra safety measures, 50’ extension cord, 2 year warranty.
Very lightweight and light duty splitter designed for home use. It has some good safety features that make sure the operators hands stay away from the ram. A long extension cord allows you to use it at a distance from the power outlet. It is also covered by a two year warranty from the manufacturer. Also, the units 5 inch wheels allow for easy transportation making it great for indoor as well as outdoor use.
- Power: 7 tons
- Powered by: 3 HP electric motor, 15 amp.
- Weight: 205 pounds
- Max log length: 20 inches
- Other features: All steel construction, 2 year warranty, and 2 speed operation.
A versatile splitter with two speed operation. It can work in high speed mode giving 4 tons of power or in high power mode giving 7 tons of power. The powerful 3 HP motor can operate in both a 1500 as well 2300 watt mode. An ideal splitter for multipurpose (high or low power) use.